Monday, October 24, 2005

Eurythmics On Reunion: 'We Don't Know'


Eurythmics
Next month will return the spotlight to pop duo Eurythmics, with a best-of disc featuring its first new songs in six years and a reissue campaign featuring expanded editions of the group's entire catalog. But Annie Lennox and Dave Stewart insist nothing has been decided about potential future collaborations.

When asked if they consider Eurythmics an ongoing concern, even though they may go years without recording, they do not answer, instead noting that they had to have some time apart after the first decade of incessant touring and recording.

"But we never fought," Stewart tells Billboard. "We did too fight," Lennox counters. "Did we?" Stewart asks.

They agree that they had to get off the schedule they were on in order to "do regular things," Stewart says. "I wanted a family," Lennox adds, "and they don't come off the shelf."

When asked if they plan on working on a new album, they just laugh. "I'm always amazed when people ask us," Lennox says. "We don't know."

Regardless, response has been highly positive for new single "I've Got a Life," which boasts an uplifting melody juxtaposed with sad lyrics. "That's every Eurythmics song," Stewart says with a laugh. "There's a lot of optimism, there's a lot of angst and melancholy in the same song, which is unusual."

Although they have not ruled it out, it's unlikely the pair will tour behind the "Ultimate Collection" set, in part because Lennox dislikes many aspects of being on the road. "I get all anxious and I can't calm down. And to do the 54 dates I did with Sting [last year], it was mad," she says. "I don't really know why I did it. I thought I misread the amount of dates."

source: billboard_by Melinda Newman

No comments: