Thursday, October 20, 2005

Danger Doom Hopes To Make Second CD


Danger Doom
With its first Epitaph album, "The Mouse and the Mask," debuting this week at No. 2 on Billboard's Top Independent Albums chart and No. 41 on The Billboard 200, Danger Doom principal MF Doom tells Billboard he is already looking forward to another collaborative project with producer Danger Mouse centering around Cartoon Network characters.

But next time around, Doom says he wants to rap from the perspective of the cartoons and in their voices, rather than simply create stories around them.

"I wanted to do that with this album," he tells Billboard.com. "I started to do some characters after I got the standard songs out of the way, but then [the label] said they needed all the songs in. On the next album, though, I'm doing some characters. I have enough beats from Danger to do half an album already."

A Danger Doom tour is being plotted for next year, with the hope that such Cartoon Network stars/album participants as the Aqua Teen Hunger Force and Space Ghost can appear in full costume.

"I haven't met the human beings behind these voices, so to me, it's still just Meatwad," Doom says, referring to the Aqua Teen Hunger Force staple. "Everyone should be in costume. If I'm going to have them on the record, I have to have them on the tour."

Doom's involvement with Cartoon Network will be extended via the show "Perfect Hair Forever," for which he will do some voiceover work. "I play a giraffe [whose] name is Sherman," he says. "He's Sherman from New York."

In the meantime, he has also begun work on a new Madvillain album with producer Madlib. Their first effort, 2004's "Madvillainy," reached No. 9 on the Heatseekers chart and No. 10 on the Top Independent Albums tally.

source: billboard_by Todd Martens

No comments: